Here's a preview of the syllabus.
- To understand what makes an innovation great
- To identify Silicon Valley’s greatest innovations
- To understand why these innovations constituted both technological and
- To address several fundamental questions concerning them:
- How do they work?
- Who invented them?
- What inspired their inventors?
- How did these innovations differ from earlier efforts?
- Why did they succeed?
- To enhance your abilities to innovate, to invest, and to contribute back to Silicon Valley wisely
- Session 1, Introduction to the Greatest Innovations of Silicon Valley. Theme: The Valley’s Uniqueness.
- Session 2, The Cold War, Silicon, and Money. Theme: Defense contractors, semiconductor manufacturers, and venture firms.
- Session 3, Personal Computing Leads to the PC. Theme: Computers bring a new wave of innovation to the Valley.
- Session 4, Having Fun Can Be Serious Business. Theme: Entertainment driving innovation.
- Session 5, The Biomedical, Biotech, and Bioinformatics Revolutions. Theme: Advances in biology, medicine, and related fields of innovation.
- Session 6, Bigger Systems for Bigger Customers: Databases, Workstations, and Networks. Theme: Innovation for the enterprise.
- Session 7, With the Internet, It’s a Whole New Ballgame. Theme: Infrastructure changes and world-wide impact of networking.
- Session 8, Where the Ether Meets the Road. Theme: Cloud Computing, Communications, Smartphones, and Apps.
- Session 9, Generating Content and Promoting Sustainability. Theme: Social Networking and CleanTech.
- Session 10, “Just Keep Truckin On.” Theme: The future of innovation in Silicon Valley
Is the Valley Itself Its greatest innovation?