Sunday, June 07, 2009

Berners-Lee talks about Web Science - a discipline of "studying the effect of the web within disciplines like social science, economics, psychology and law."

So, I started thinking about the web as a sensing and perception ability, like vision, hearing, and all other human senses. The key difference, of course, is that the web is a collective, rather than an individual "perceptor". To explore the idea further, I asked myself several questions: How does the web perceive my favorite subjects, invention and technology? Is there a way to find out? How can we find applications for our sixth web-sense?

Either by accident or design, I decided to use Google Timeline, which helped me once before. And see what I got (click on the picture below to enlarge):


To me the contrast between the graphs looks amazing! According to the web, invention (the top graph) reached its peak in the mid-19th century. And right after that, technology (the bottom graph) took off. I will do some more data digging, but a new question is already on my mind: What is going to succeed technology?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am not sure I understand the implications of the 2 graphs.

1. Are invention and technology different ?
2. Has technology really peaked or is it just the beginning of the curve? No doubt that there has been explosive growth in recent decades, but whats to prevent that from continuing on ?

The massive growth in computers and internet technology itself is a fuel for future technological advancement. These technologies, like none others before have facilitated access to and dissemination of new information, instant communication and collaboration all over the world. This would allow innovation at even faster pace!